On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 10:21:31AM -0500, Justin Forbes wrote:
> On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 10:13 AM Prarit Bhargava <pra...@redhat.com> wrote:

> > > The piece of the puzzle you are probably missing is:
> > > https://gitlab.com/cki-project/kernel-ark-ci
> > >

> > Thanks.  That's what I was looking for.
> >
> > > which holds the CI scripts.  It is in a separate repo for security reasons
> > > (don't want a kernel change to include modifying the CI scripts to falsely
> > > pass something malicious).
> > >
> > > However, that split leads to the scenario you are in, how to update both
> > > at
> > > the same time, which we were trying to avoid again for security reasons
> > > (always want to use either a tag or head of master, not a custom branch
> > > for
> > > the CI scripts).
> > >
> > > We may have to create a transition patch to handle this.  Unfortunately
> > > you
> > > hit this scenario sooner than we were expecting to deal with it. :-(
> >
> > Heh :)  Of course it's my fault :) :)
> >
> > How about these steps?
> >
> > 1) I patch to add the dist-* targets and keep the old rh-* targets
> > temporarily.
> > This patch will be messy unless someone has some  Makefile-fu.
> > 2) I modify the kernel-ark-ci scripts to use the dist-* targets.
> > 3) I patch to remove the old rh-* targets which will result in an overall
> > clean
> > patch.

That was the approach I was thinking of too.

> > Would that work for everyone?
> >
> This seems unnecessarily messy. Why not modify the CI scripts to check
> both and as long as at least one of them passes, CI passes?

That is another way.  But is there any value to leaving the rh- stuff in the
scripts?  Unless we want to preserve legacy like rhel-7/8.

I don't mind either way.  I would like to preserve the idea that for
security reasons the code and the ci rules are split and updated
asynchronously.  I think both approaches respect that idea.

Now ARK/Fedora CI scripts don't really necessitate a split other than the
branching scheme we use.  But when CentOS-stream ramps up later this year,
more rules and resources get involved and the security from the separation
becomes stronger.  So practicing now helps test out a solution.

Hopefully that makes sense!

Cheers,
Don