On 08/13/2013 05:48 PM, Lorenzo Marcantonio wrote:
On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 07:14:05AM -0500, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
If you ignore the context of application, then this is the same thing as
guessing that a
mechanic hates his 5mm wrench when he goes to loosen a 11mm nut.

I think it more than using a ratchet instead of an open wrench to loose
the nut. Same result, different way to do it.

Of course a really tight nut may require a long wrench and break the
ratchet... i.e. not necessarily coroutines are the solution.

The solution I proposed does not make coroutines obligatory. If you don't want to use them in a particular tool, just don't call any Wait()/Yield() methods. TOOL_INTERACTIVE constructor could have an additional parameter that prevents creating an unnecessary stack frame for coroutine-less tools.

As a way to maintain the tool state machine (fed by events), they seem
appropriate to me; of course everyone will propose his own 'best' idea
(heck, no women here:P)

Look at the PDF I put on ohwr.org - one can use coroutines, function pointers or enum+switch for the FSMs, depending on his/her coding habits. Nothing is forbidden.

Tom