>This is exactly the reason why these "competent" developers should be shared
>and cooperated among projects.

You are treating developers as a some sort of object. We
are people, we have lives, we do not sit here looking for work.
We pick what we like to do and work on it if we have time.
You don't simply get developers from XYZ project to work on ABC
project, there is a lot of time spent relearning the codebase,
changing tools, etc.

Most of the developers working on KiCad probably do not want to spend even more
time supporting more code and developers on other projects probably
have the same sentiment.

>This is exactly the reason why these "competent" developers should be shared
>and cooperated among projects.
>Moreover, there are many complex tasks in KiCad that don't need an EDA
>expertise. They need rather the toolkit or wxWindows expertise. For instance
>creation of a plugin framework discussed currently in another thread. Or
>netlist exports which are essentially just conversions between two known
>formats. Or many tasks from the road-map, like turning separate executable
>modules of KiCad (PcbNew, EESChema etc.) into libraries. And many more.

That is true, but I don't see finding developers wanting to work on
software they will never in a billion years are going to use
themselves being easy. What's the point of it for them?

>On the other hand, it's funny that in the repository are 3 (!) actively
>developed refactorings of the 3D Viewer. I understant that 3D modelling is
>interesting and that you cannot prohibit to the developers to play with it,
>but this is waste of effort.

But that was CERN's developer roadmap which is a little out of date.
Right now there's a real refactoring being performed by someone.
And someone is adding raytracing to the viewer but that is not
refactoring. But theres are no 3 active refactorings.

But this is the sentiment that has just irked me alot, you might think its a
waste of time. But if I am ever working on something, and somebody
tells me "waste of effort, go work on XYZ" without any technical merit
or explanation, I am going to say no and never ever submit a patch
again. This isn't a job, while we have end goals, we aren't going to
work in strict focus.