See comments inline:

> On 14 Feb 2018, at 08:54, Maciej Sumiński <maciej.sumin...@cern.ch> wrote:
>
> Well done, Michael! There is one more patch that should go with these
> changes (see the attachment), otherwise Linux users see some asserts.
>
> I mostly agree with Jeff's remarks below, but IMHO your patches are
> already a huge improvement in their current state.
>
> On 02/14/2018 02:23 AM, Jeff Young wrote:
>> Good stuff; I like most of these changes.
>>
>> A few  issues:
>>
>> Show/Hide Layers Manager and Show/Hide Microwave Toolbar should be changed
>> to checkable items (with just the show version of the text). They should
>> also probably move down the menu so they’re in the same order as the toolbar
>> buttons.
>>
>> I think I’d use “Zone Display” instead of “Zones” for the zone display
>> options menu.
>>
>> User Defined Grid… should be moved from the Dimensions menu to just under
>> Show Grid on the View menu and renamed Grid Settings....
>
> I suppose Dimensions menu could be entirely moved to Preferences as a
> submenu.

I had another thought last night: once grid is out of Dimensions, the rest
could fit reasonably well under Design Rules.  We could then organise them a
bit better too so they weren’t just a big “lump”.

> I also wonder if there is any reason to keep Icons submenu, as there is
> only one entry. It is not an option that is frequently changed, so could
> be safely moved to Preferences dialog.

+ 1

> The same applies to Languages, but perhaps there is a benefit of easy
> access to the menu in case KiCad runs using a language unknown to the user.

And once you switch to a language you don’t know getting back can be harder if
they’re in a dialog.

>> Instead of adding a new top-level Inspect menu, how about reorganising the
>> Tools menu:
>
> True, perhaps at one point when we provide too many tools we can start
> splitting them into submenus.
>
>> Read Netlist…
>> Update PCB from Schematic…
>> ——————
>> Measure
>> Design Rules Checker
>> ——————
>> Set Layer Pair…
>> FreeRoute
>>
>> Alternatively, if others really like the Inspect menu, we should move Design
>> Rules Checker to it as well.
>>
>> I don’t think I’d move the global editing stuff from the Edit menu to the
>> Tools menu.

This might be one of the more controversial ones.  Orson, did you have an
opinion on it?

>> Pads Mask Clearance… and Differential Pairs... should probably move to the
>> Design Rules menu?  (Or perhaps Differential Pairs… should go to the Route
>> menu?  Either way it should be renamed Differential Pair Settings….)
>>
>> Oh, and one of the biggest issues with Legacy vs Modern is that folks think
>> it’s just a view change (not a whole different toolset).  We should move
>> them to the Preferences menu to help clear that up.  They’d go well near
>> Display Settings….
>
> Then maybe we could make it sound more descriptive? How about 'Modern
> toolset’?

Yeah, I like that too.

Cheers,
Jeff.