Am Di., 31. Juli 2018 um 07:31 Uhr schrieb Wayne Stambaugh <
stambau...@gmail.com>:

> On 7/31/2018 8:33 AM, Carsten Schoenert wrote:
> > Am 31.07.18 um 17:50 schrieb Andrew Lutsenko:
> >> Can swig on the qa machine be updated? Or better yet can you upgrade to
> >> debian 9? Debian 9 has swig 3.0.10 and compiles this just fine.
> >> Aside from this debian 8 is very old and should be done away with anyway
> >> because of security, old compilers, etc.
> >
> > Argumentation by missing security isn't a valid choice, even now the
> > ELTS team is taking care of security updates, old versions can be solved
> > by using backports, even swig has 3.0.10 in jessie-backports. I agree
> > that GCC wont become any version updates for Jessie.
> >
> > But there are still users out there which use Jessie based desktops.
> >

> I'm siding with Carsten on this.  There are people who prefer stable
> computing platforms and I want to avoid making kicad only build on the
> latest distros.  I prefer that we keep as large of a target audience as
> possible.  How difficult would it be to change the SHAPE_LINE_CHAIN
> object (actually its the VECTOR2 object that causes the swig issue) so
> that older versions of swig don't choke on it?  I would be open to that
> solution.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Wayne

​I'm not sure I follow the discussion.  I thought Carsten was saying that
jessie-backports does have SWIG 3.0.10 and so we can upgrade swig on the
kicad-qa​ without changing to a newer debian.

@Andrew - can you compile your changes on debian 8 using the swig from
backports as Carsten described?  If not, then this is moot and we'd need to
look at a SWIG-specific VECTOR2, an outcome that might be long-term
problematic.

-S