When calculating obstacles we currently use the diff-pair gap as a clearance
between a diff-pair trace and a diff-pair pad.

I’m pretty sure that’s wrong.  I’m just not sure how wrong.

I suspect the diff-pair gap shouldn’t be used as a clearance at all.  It’s the
gap between the traces, not a clearance.

But maybe we should consider it a clearance between two tracks of a diff-pair.
This would allow you to manually route each wire.  But if you do that, should
we consider it a diff-pair or not?  (Even if we use the gap as a clearance,
it’s only going to enforce minimum distance; it won’t keep the tracks gap-width
apart.  And I imagine you won’t be able to tune it.  So I’m not sure it’s
really a diff-pair.)

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Jeff.