Hi Ryan,

This is a workaround I have been using so far.

Let's use an example of a diode designated D1 (ie. Reference D1) in a
board open  in PCBNEW .

You can try the following:
1) Always save your board .brd file first before trying out new stuff!
KICAD is pretty stable but it does crash sometimes.

2) In PCBNew , point the mouse cursor over your component and right
click. In the popup menu select>Footprint D1 (Component)>Edit>Properties
tab>Edit Module.

3) This will open Module Editor in a MINIMIZED mode on your Windows
Start toolbar.  It doesn't pop in the same way it does when we invoke it
from the PCBNEW's menu button.

4) Clicking on this minimized Module Editor, should open its window. You
will see your component there.  Edit your silkcreen,  or any other
changes that you want, eg. pad sizes.  If you need finer resolution for
your silkcsreen editing, you can do a Right Click>Grid Select and choose
a smaller grid setting.  Be careful not to accidentally move the
component pads, otherwise they will be misaligned on a different grid
when you update the component into your board(see next step). So I
normally reset the grid back when I am done with the changes for safety
reasons.

5) After your are done editing,  click "Update module on current board"
button in the Module Editor menu bar.  DON'T save it unless you want to
update it for your library.

6) Return to PCBNew. Your component has already been updated. But all
the other instances of this component (D2, D3, etc.) will remain
unchanged.

7) If you wish to move any designator (ie. reference),  make sure to
first  select "Mode track and autorouting" button in PCBNEW menu bar.

8) Point the mouse cursor over your designator; change to a smaller grid
size if the mouse cursor  can't detect it. Right click>Reference D1
item. In the next popup,  select Reference D1>Move.  Then you can start
moving it around. Left click to place it at the new location.

Rgds,
Andy