I don't know anything about Adept, but if it uses apt (and I would be
pretty sure it does being Kubuntu), then there should be a way to add
repositories (or Software Sources).  Add the following line:

deb http://apt.wxwidgets.org/ gutsy-wx main

and Refresh or Update the software list, and you should see wxWidgets
2.8.x.

I think if you install libwxgtk2.8-dev it should get everything else you
need automatically.

If you can't get kicad compiled after that I can send you the binaries I
made.