I do this all the time; it's pretty simple.  Just make your schematic changes,
but when you annotate your components, only annotate the new ones; don't change
the designations on the ones which are staying the same, or else you'll have to
re-layout your board, or change the designators on the board all by hand to
match.

Next, use cvPCB as usual and set the footprints for the new components.  The
old ones should already have their footprints set as you had them before.

Then, in PCBnew, with the old board loaded, import your new netlist.  You'll
probably want to have it delete old tracks and components.  This will leave
everything that hasn't changed in place, and you'll have some new components
you need to place and route for.

Hope this helps.
Dan

--- In kicad-users@yahoogroups.com, "anders.gustafsson99"