+1 from me

Questions:
- Where would the information go about downloadability (and availability, see below)? (Biblio record, item record...) - Will there be a need for granularity, e.g. allow download only for users of a certain user type (Staff, Teacher...)?

A related functionality could be to mark items (of any type) to be hidden in search results for non logged in users. Similar to AgeRestrictionMarker and/or OpacSuppression ( Hide items marked as suppressed from OPAC search results. )

Then it would be a good idea to manage an "embargo date". Such downloads (and/or items) would automatically become available / visible after a certain date.

Just my 2 cents :-)

Marc