Hi Jacob,

I have to admit, I am not aware of a feature in Koha that uses 856 $e to
display cover images. Can you elaborate a bit on your use of it? Is it
linked to a system preference maybe?

Katrin

On 17.10.22 22:02, Jacob Jett wrote:
Hi gang,

Some context, I'm asking these questions because our organization has
been using the 856 $e field to display cover images to users searching
the catalog. I have questions regarding this practice:

1) I see that the nature of 856 $e was changed to record data
provenance metadata by the Library of Congress this year. Will there
be a new place to use for linking cover images? E.g., is Koha going to
be developing a specific 9XX field for the purpose or will there be a
way for individual libraries to define a field that does the same
thing as the pre-2022 856 $e did? (I'm assuming that an update that
applies recent changes to MARC21 will eventually get globally pushed out.)

2) Accessibility and image alt text--is there a way to add alt text to
the metadata such that accessibility widgets and software encountering
images like shared cover images can grab the alt text for those images?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Regards,

Jacob

*Jacob Jett*| Research Librarian | ASFPM
8301 Excelsior Dr.  | Madison, WI  53717
tel: 608-828-3000  | desk: 608-828-6342 | floods.org
<http://www.floods.org/> | _Email Jacob <mailto:ja...@floods.org>_