Forward from mart.
Re: Washinton Post - "IAEA Leader's Phone Tapped"


Actually El Baradie did not just, as this Washington Post article 
states - "question U.S. 'intelligence' on Iraq" - rather he totally 
exposed it as an outright lie and a fraud and he showed, 
unequivocally, that Iraq did not have either nuclear weapons or
a program to develop them. Now with the Bush regime beating 
it's war drums at it's next target, Iran, they don't want their lies 
about Iran's nuclear activities exposed.

mart
===================================================
----- Original Message ----- 
From: Vicki Andrada 
To: anti Allawi group 
Sent: Sunday, December 12, 2004 1:15 PM
Subject: IAEA Leader's Phone Tapped


What the Bush government will do to control anyone that 
goes against them?
Vicki
================================================


http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A57928-2004Dec11.html
 
IAEA Leader's Phone Tapped

U.S. Pores Over Transcripts to Try to 
Oust Nuclear Chief

By Dafna Linzer

Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, December 12, 2004; Page A01

 
The Bush administration has dozens of intercepts 
of Mohamed ElBaradei's phone calls with Iranian 
diplomats and is scrutinizing them in search of 
ammunition to oust him as director general of the 
International Atomic Energy Agency, according to 
three U.S. government officials. 


But the diplomatic offensive will not be easy. The 
administration has failed to come up with a candidate 
willing to oppose El Baradei, who has run the agency 
since 1997, and there is disagreement among some
senior officials over how hard to push for his removal, 
and what the diplomatic costs of a public campaign 
against him could be. 


Although eavesdropping, even on allies, is considered a 
well-worn tool of national security and diplomacy, the 
efforts against El Baradei demonstrate the lengths some 
within the administration are willing to go to replace a 
top international diplomat who questioned U.S. 
intelligence on Iraq and is now taking a cautious 
approach on Iran. 


The intercepted calls have not produced any evidence 
of nefarious conduct by ElBaradei, according to three 
officials who have read them. But some within the 
administration believe they show ElBaradei lacks 
impartiality because he tried to help Iran navigate 
a diplomatic crisis over its nuclear programs. Others 
argue the transcripts demonstrate nothing more than 
standard telephone diplomacy. 


"Some people think he sounds way too soft on the 
Iranians, but that's about it," said one official with 
access to the intercepts. 


In Vienna, where the IAEA has its headquarters, 
officials said they were not surprised about the 
eavesdropping. 


"We've always assumed that this kind of thing goes 
on," IAEA spokesman Mark Gwozdecky said. "We 
wish it were otherwise, but we know the reality." 


The IAEA, often called the U.N.'s nuclear watchdog 
agency, coordinates nuclear safety around the world 
and monitors materials that could be diverted for 
weapons use. It has played pivotal investigative roles 
in four major crises in recent years: Iran, Iraq, North 
Korea and the nuclear black market run by one of 
Pakistan's top scientists. 


Each issue has produced some tension between the agency 
and the White House, and this is not the first time that El
Baradei or other U.N. officials have been the targets of a 
spy campaign. Three weeks before the invasion of Iraq in
March 2003, the Observer newspaper in Britain published 
a secret directive from the National Security Agency 
ordering increased eavesdropping on U.N. diplomats. 


Earlier this year, Clare Short, who served in British 
Prime Minister Tony Blair's cabinet, said British spies 
had eavesdropped on U.N. Secretary General Kofi 
Annan's calls during that period and that she had read 
transcripts of the intercepts. 


The NSA, which is responsible for collecting and 
decoding electronic communications for the U.S. 
government, had no information to provide on the 
El Baradei intercepts. The CIA refused to comment. 


ElBaradei, 62, an Egyptian diplomat who taught 
international law at New York University, is 
well-respected inside the United Nations, and many 
of the countries that sit on the IAEA board have 
asked him to stay for a third term beginning next 
summer. 


To block that, Washington would need to persuade 
a little more than one-third of the IAEA's 35-member 
board to vote against his reappointment. But even 
some of the administration's closest friends, including 
Britain, appear to be reluctant to join a fight they
believe is motivated by a desire to pay back El Baradei 
over Iraq. Without clear support and no candidate, the 
White House began searching for material to strengthen 
its argument that ElBaradei should be retired, according 
to several senior policymakers who would discuss 
strategy only on the condition of anonymity. 


The officials said anonymous accusations against El
Baradei made by U.S. officials in recent weeks are 
part of an orchestrated campaign. Some U.S. officials 
accused ElBaradei of purposely concealing damning 
details of Iran's program from the IAEA board. But 
they have offered no evidence of a coverup. 


"The plan is to keep the spotlight on ElBaradei and
raise the heat," another U.S. official said. 


But another official said there is disagreement within 
the administration, chiefly between Undersecretary 
of State for Arms Control John R. Bolton, who aides 
say is eager to see ElBaradei go, and outgoing 
Secretary of State Colin L. Powell, over whether it
would be worth diverting diplomatic capital that
could be better spent on lobbying the board to get 
tougher with Iran. 


In September, Powell said ElBaradei should step aside, 
citing a term limit policy adopted several years ago in 
Geneva by the top 10 contributors to international 
organizations. 


"We think the Geneva rule is a good rule: two terms," 
Powell told Agence France-Presse. "It's not been 
followed in the past on many occasions, more often 
than not, but we still think it's a good, useful rule." 
Powell said he discussed it personally with ElBaradei, 
who decided he would stay on if the board wanted 
him. 


"However this effort is justified by the administration, 
the assumption internationally will be that the United 
States was blackballing ElBaradei because of Iraq and 
Iran," said Robert Einhorn, who was assistant secretary 
of state for nonproliferation until 2001. 


Several months ago, the State Department began 
canvassing potential candidates, including Australian 
Foreign Minister Alexander Downer, two Japanese 
diplomats, two South Korean officials and a Brazilian 
disarmament expert. 


But the South Koreans and Brazil's Sergio Duarte are 
now considered to be problematic candidates because 
both countries are under IAEA investigation for suspect 
nuclear work. Downer, who is not willing to challenge 
El Baradei, still remains the administration's top choice. 
The deadline for submitting alternative candidates is 
Dec. 31. 


"Our original strategy was to get Alex Downer to 
throw his hat in the ring, but we couldn't," one U.S
 policymaker said. "Anyone in politics will tell you 
that you can't beat somebody with nobody, but we're 
going to try to disprove that." 


That strategy worked once before when the 
administration orchestrated the 2002 removal of 
Jose M. Bustani, who ran the Organization for the 
Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW), a U.N.
organization based in The Hague. Bustani drew the 
administration's ire when he tried to involve his 
organization in the search for suspected chemical 
weapons in Iraq. 


The administration canvassed the organization's 
board and then forced a narrow vote for his ouster.
A successor was found three months later, and 
there was little diplomatic fallout from the 
administration's maneuver, mostly because the
OPCW has a fairly low profile and its members 
wanted to avoid being drawn into the diplomatic 
row leading up to the Iraq war. 


But John S. Wolf, who was assistant secretary of 
state for nonproliferation until June, said such 
action comes at a cost and makes it harder for the 
United States to keep the world's attention focused 
on pressing threats. 


"The net result of campaigns that others saw as spiteful 
was that even where the U.S. had quite legitimate and 
proven concerns, the atmosphere had been so soured 
that it wasn't possible to recoup," Wolf said. 


Gareth Evans, a former Australian foreign minister 
who now heads a high-level panel on U.N. reform, 
said that ElBaradei has been excellent in his job and 
that Washington would be making a mistake to 
challenge him: 


"If they think they can get anyone who could have
better handled the complex and difficult issues 
surrounding North Korea, Iran and other 
controversies, they are not understanding the world 
right now." 

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/VL0olB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

Peruuta ryhm�n tilaus l�hett�m�ll� s�hk�postia osoitteeseen:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kominform2/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 



Reply via email to