Forwarded from: Walter Lippmann.
_________

In an original use of political and diplomatic imagination, Cuban
diplomat Jose Imperatori publicly challenged the United States
government to prove in court its allegations that he had used
his position for espionage purposes. Imperatori, whose wife
and child had returned to Cuba hours earlier (they would have
lost diplomatic immunity when he did) took these steps:

First, he formally resigned his diplomatic post, writing to the
head of his mission, the Cuban Interests Section:

"I am addressing you to submit my resignation, as of this
moment, to my position and functions in our beloved interests
section and to the prerogatives therein. I have decided to
stay in America, assuming all the necessary risks and conse-
quences, to struggle against the slanders that hurt my honor,
and that of the interests section in Washington and my own
homeland."

Imperatori added he surrendered his diplomatic immunity so
as to disprove espionage allegations against Mariano Faget,
the Cuban-American 34-year career INS official arrested on
the eve of a key Miami federal court hearing in the case of
Elian Gonzalez. (Faget, who declares himself a staunch anti-
Communist, probably won't express appreciation for this act
of simple honesty by the Cuban diplomat.)

Represented by his attorney, former Baltimore, MD mayor,
Kurt M. Schmoke, Imperatori carried out his assignment to
the end. As the New York Times described it:

"Although he could have avoided arrest by staying inside
the interest section, an embassy in all but name that operates
under the auspices of the Swiss Embassy in Washington,
he chose instead to spend today at his apartment in suburban
Bethesda, Md., where it would be easy to arrest him. Mr.
Schmoke pointedly gave out the street address and apart-
ment number at a televised news conference today."
[full text of NY Times article below]
http://www.nytimes.com/yr/mo/day/news/national/cuba-spy.html

Imperatori was taken into custody by US authorities and taken
to the airport where he was immediately deported to Canada.
Again, as reported in the New York times, Jose Imperatori:

"with the concurrence and perhaps at the direction of his govern-
ment, he sought to remain here as what amounted to an undocu-
mented alien."

``I shall not resist arrest, not even if I am handcuffed and jailed.''
he said. ``My morale and my truth will be my shield.''
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/i/AP-US-Cuba.html

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...
"In Cuba, around 50,000 demonstrators expressed solidarity
with Imperatori as part of daily rallies held in Cuba since the
Elian Gonzalez dispute began three months ago.

``We do not obey the command of the powerful, and we do
not accept the lie,'' teacher Ramon Gonzalez told the rally
in the western province of Pinar del Rio. ``We will continue
protesting as long as we need to demonstrate the truth
and achieve our objectives.''  [full text below]
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20000226/ts/cuba_diplomat.html

See an AP photo of Jose Imperatori with attorney Kurt Schmoke:
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/p/ap/20000226/us/us_cuba_8fj.html

COMMENT:
Let's please note that those who have been clamoring for 6 year
old Elian Gonzalez to have his "day in court", but who have never
said a word for any Haitian, Mexican, Guatamalan or Chinese to
have THEIR day in court, are not expected to raise any protest
against Jose Imperatori being denied HIS day in court...

Furthermore, the US government, by deporting Imperatori, has
forfeited any presentation of EVIDENCE in a US court, where it
would be subject to challenge, cross-examination and so forth.
Of course, that seems pretty clearly the reason why they DID
deport Imperatori, rather than arresting him.

_______
Macdonald Stainsby
-----
Check out  the Tao ten point program: http://new.tao.ca
***
"Those who preach the doctrine of the class struggle are always persecuted by those who practice it".
-George Bernard Shaw