From: "Macdonald Stainsby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 01:34:45 -0700
To: "Leninist International" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [L-I] First Americans arrive in Cuba for medical training

PROGRAM FOR POOR COMMUNITIES:

CUBA STARTS TRAINING U.S.
STUDENTS TO BE DOCTORS

By Gloria La Riva

Last Sept. 8 in New York's Riverside Church Cuban President
Fidel Castro told a crowd of 2,500 that Cuba would accept
U.S. students to study medicine for free in Cuba.

The only condition was for the students to make a commitment
to serving poor communities in the United States after
receiving their medical licenses.

On April 3, the first group, eight African American and
Latino youths, left for Havana to study medicine. They come
from Texas, Florida, Minnesota, California, and the Bronx,
N.Y.

It's a dream come true for Californian Kareema Mosi, 22, who
can hardly believe she's going. "I'm extremely excited about
it and totally grateful at being accepted to medical
school," she said.

"I always planned to be a doctor for years. But to study in
the U.S., if you take all those school loans, it's a small
fortune.

"It'd be extremely difficult to work in an under-served
community if you're worried about all those debts."

In Cuba, all of Mosi's schooling will be completely free.
Room and board for the six-year program will also be
provided.

Over 3,400 students from 23 countries, mostly in Latin
America and the Caribbean, are already at the Latin America
School of Medicine, also studying for free. The school was
established in the wake of the terrible hurricanes that
caused many deaths and extensive damage in Central America
in 1997.

But this is the first time that U.S. students are to be
admitted to that program. A bigger group will be enrolled in
August.

Castro said at Riverside, "We are prepared to grant a number
of scholarships to poor youth who cannot afford to pay the
$200,000 it costs to get a medical degree in the U.S."

CUBA IS OFFERING 500 SCHOLARSHIPS.

President Castro made the offer originally to members of the
U.S. Congressional Black Caucus when they were visiting
Cuba. One representative, Benny Thompson from Mississippi,
remarked that there were districts in his state where there
were no doctors for poor, mostly African American people.

Cuba's policy of international medical assistance, and now a
medical school, is legendary. Since Cuba sent its first
internationalist brigade of 56 medical personnel to Algeria
in May 1963, more than 57,000 doctors and nurses have been
sent around the world to every continent.

That total is higher than the number sent by the World
Health Organization.

Now that solidarity is being extended to U.S. students who
want not only to study medicine, but to serve where it is
most needed, in poor communities in the United States.

Mosi was a biology major at University of California at San
Diego. She was a veterinarian's assistant for three years.
Now she says: "I decided I'd rather work with people. I've
always been interested in science and life and how it all
works."

She also recently interned at Yale Medical School in the
Minority Medical Education Program. But she was somewhat
discouraged by her stay there. "I thought medicine was
working with people, but there it seemed so impersonal, like
a conveyor belt for patients."

Then she read an e-mail from the African Student Union at
school. It contained a flier from Pastors for Peace, which
is coordinating the outreach and acceptance process in the
United States for the Cuban medical school.

Mosi feels that her education in Cuba will be well suited to
her goals of being a family practitioner, since the vast
majority of doctors are in general practice in Cuba.

"I didn't know too much about Cuba before. I do know that
Cuba, with so little resources, still takes care of its
people's medical needs for free. In the U.S. that doesn't
happen.

"I also hope that our experience will increase cultural
awareness and understanding about Cuba."

- END -

(Copyright Workers World Service: Everyone is permitted to
copy and distribute verbatim copies of this document, but
changing it is not allowed. For more information contact
Workers World, 55 W. 17 St., NY, NY 10011; via e-mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] For subscription info send message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Web: http://www.workers.org)

In the contradiction lies the hope.
                                     --Bertholt Brecht

KOMINFORM