From: "mart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

From: Barry Stoller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, December 28, 2001 12:51 PM
Subject: Somalia: Warlords want foreign intervention
 HTTP://WWW.STOPNATO.ORG.UK
 ---------------------------

 Reuters. 28 December 2001.
Warlords Call for Foreign Intervention in  Somalia.

 ADDIS ABABA -- Three Somali warlords called for international
military intervention in Somalia on Friday, saying radical Islamic
groups al Qaeda and al-Itihad had several bases in the Horn of
Africa country.

 Somalia's transitional government has strongly denied the presence
of terrorist cells, and diplomats have warned that opposition warlords
may use the U.S. war on terror to try and damage their opponents.

 At a news conference in the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa, warlords
 Hassan Mohammed Nur Shatigudud, General Abdullahi Nur Gabyow
and Hussein Aideed said foreign intervention was needed to stop
extremist groups going underground.

 "Al Qaeda and al-Itihad terrorist groups have got three major bases
 inside and around Mogadishu alone. The southern port city of Kismayu
and Bosasso and the surrounding areas are their strongholds," Gabyow
said.

 "I myself can mobilize up to 50,000 of my militia and fight alongside
 any international force which would come to Somalia to help eradicate
 the terrorist group destroying our country."

 Somalia has been named as one of the countries the United States
could  target once it widens its war on terror beyond Afghanistan.

 Diplomats have warned that militia chiefs, who flourished in the chaos
 of civil war and control large parts of Somalia, have seized on the U.S.
 anti-terror campaign as their own route back to power.

 They hope that accusing the Transitional National Government (TNG)
ofsupporting terrorists will convince Washington to intervene and
destroy their enemy on their behalf, the diplomats say.
  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

 Barry Stoller
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProletarianNews

KOMINFORM
P.O. Box 66