----------
From: "Stasi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Subject: [Peoples War] Xinhua: Palestinians Marks 37th Anniversary of
Palestinian Revolution

Tuesday, January 01, 2002 3:26 PM

      Palestinians Marks 37th Anniversary of Palestinian Revolution

      Xinhuanet 2002-01-01 22:42:53

         GAZA, January 1 (Xinhuanet) -- The Palestinians in the West Bank
      and Gaza celebrated Tuesday the 37th anniversary of the Palestinian
      revolution, which coincided with the first day of the New Year,
      amid hopes upon implementing the ceasefire deal with Israel and
      establishing the independent Palestinians state.
         Palestinian National Authority (PNA) Chairman Yasser Arafat lit
      the flame in the center of the West Bank town of Ramallah to mark
      the anniversary before thousands of his supporters, who chanted
      slogans to show their full support to him.
         Meanwhile, PNA officials sounded more optimistic over the return
      of the U.S. Mideast peace envoy Anthony Zinni to the area within
      the coming days to help implement the ceasefire agreements between
      Israel and the Palestinians.
         "We were told by U.S. State Department officials that the U.S.
      understands the Palestinian efforts to reinforce the ceasefire
      deal," said Chief Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat.
         However, Ahmed Abdel Rahman, PNA cabinet secretary general, said
      that the Israeli government would intensify its "escalated military
      actions" on the Palestinian territories to make Zinni's mission a
      failure.
         "The main obstacle for Zinni to succeed in his mission is the
      repeated Israeli violations of any ceasefire deal," said Abdel
      Rahman, adding that the Palestinians from their side had halted all
      armed and suicide attacks against Israel
         In his televised speech to the Palestinian people and the world
      to mark the New Year and the revolution anniversary on Monday,
      Arafat called upon the Israeli and the Jewish people to reach peace
      with the Palestinians.
         "I call for a bright future for your (Israelis) children and our
      children to live in peace, forgiveness and coexistence on the holy
      land and in all the Middle East," said Arafat in the speech
      addressed from his office in Ramallah.
         Arafat said: "We raise our hands to make the peace of the braves
      and end the reality of occupation, settlements, aggressive crimes
      and siege."
         Meanwhile, Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon has turned down a
      plan for Israeli President Moshe Katzav to appear before the
      Palestinian legislature and propose a one-year "Hudna" or truce, a
      Muslim concept of a ceasefire.
         Erekat told Xinhua that Sharon's policy is becoming clear that
      he does not want peace and does not want to implement the ceasefire
      deals, but wants violence to continue.
         "This indicates that Sharon does not have a plan for peace, the
      only plan he has in his hands is a plan of war to destroy the
      Palestinian (National) Authority," said Erekat.  Enditem

KOMINFORM
P.O. Box 66
00841 Helsinki
Phone +358-40-7177941