(forgive me if I'm being dumb.  I've never studied economics and have
only been in the Bay Area for a couple of years, and I mostly don't talk
to .com people because they mostly make me want to punch them and that
would make me a bad pacifist.  Also this is a huge digression, but I
thought you might be slightly interested, Kragen.)

> > re. Google - the vast majority of the individuals that work for them
> > I've encountered seem to have extremely good intentions, but
> > personally find the dominance of the company as a whole getting a bit
> > worrying. But I do use gmail.
>
> Yeah, I don't know quite what to do about that.

I spend a lot of time thinking about the way that modern economic
realities drive people who want to do good things into creating
corporations, which are then driven to become bigger, more competitive,
and ultimately exclusive to ensure their 'survival'. (Irony quoted
because I find the legal fiction of the
corporation-as-individual-with-rights highly problematic.)  People
always compare business to the natural world - big fish gobble up little
fish, dog eat dog, etc. - and I'm not convinced that they're not being
misled by their chosen analogies, particularly in
non-resource-constrained environments like software production.  This
kind of thinking (and implicit assumptions about resource constraints)
are the kinds of things people mean when they say things like, "It's the
system, man."

But what if it was't the system, but just a lack of courage?

I've been toying around with the notion that the right thing (in the
ethical sense, and possibly also in the economic sense) for corporations
above a certain size that want to continue to grow and compete, but do
so with as little harm to others as possible, is to commit seppuku.

This could take a lot of forms.  One could imagine, for example, a big
company that just closes up shop, fires their employees, and frees all
their software.  And I can name a long list of companies I'd like to see
do this.  But this is an obvious straw man; nobody in their right minds
would annihilate their own profitable enterprise.  Well, almost nobody.

However, what if (for example) Google decided to no longer be a
multinational corporation employing thousands and operating in dozens of
market sectors?  What if they acknowledged that they're not a search
company, or an Internet company, or even an advertising company any
more, but that they've joined the ranks of Disney and Nike as Brands?
And what if Google-the-brand was actually an umbrella organization that
focused exclusively on brand strategy (ie, being popular)?  The various
pieces and parts could become an international network of cooperating
smaller, leaner, freestanding companies who once again have something to
fight for, operating under the broad direction of the Mothership Brand
Management.

This looks inefficient - you multiply the constant overhead of human
resources departments, dental plans, etc. etc.  This draws two natural
thoughts from me:
1) With their current clout, Google-the-Multinational could probably
make arrangements with various governments to get laws passed that would
make creating cooperative enterprises among independent companies for
the purposes of, e.g., buying insurance as a class easier.  That is,
they could use their (present) power to build infrastructure for their
(eventual) fragmentation rather than trying to go along with the status
quo and ensure centralization and growth.
2) I'm simply not convinced it actually is inefficient.  Above a certain
size the internal resistance of organizations seems to grow quickly,
whatever their management structure.  And what you lose in having N
human resources persons you probably gain back in having small,
efficient organizational units.

My inclinations as a computer scientist make me think that a rough
estimate for the optimal size of a given spore-company would be
something like, "Can I name and visually ID every person that can break
my shit?  Yes?  Then it's not too big yet."  Of course I mean "break my
shit (from within my own company)" because the various companies would
be required to have SLAs with one another, as part of their abstraction
away from one another.

My last thought related to this is that one natural response is that
networks of roughly independent companies, by giving individual agents
much more power within their much reduced sphere, give them the ability
to do more harm.  That is, that the Google Mothership Brand Management
would be unable to provide sufficient oversight to many whole different
companies of individuals.

I have two thoughts about that.  First, who cares?  If Google Mail
Provision Corp. is acting evil, it will hurt the brand, and the
Mothership will yank the brand - leaving them as Mail Provision Corp,
which is really not as nice sounding, and probably hurting their
relationships with the other Google network companies.  Second, all of
the above is predicated on my deeply held core belief that, on average,
people are pretty good, and small groups of individuals do less evil
than big groups of individuals.  Perhaps because big groups are dumb.
Perhaps because it's harder for people to feel naked among their peers.
Perhaps because of perverse economic incentives.  Whatever.  The point
is, once they're no longer granted the absolution of having several
thousand coworkers participating in the same system, people will really
step up and think about their own personal relationship to that system.

Of course I could be totally wrong.

Joe