I did a little checking and you can't push fuel through the VW mechanical
pump so a backup system would entail, at minimum, a couple check valves and
an electric pump...a bit more complicated that I care to make it.  I see
Facet has pumps that will flow through so you can run them in series as a
boost pump or backup as Mark did. This might be the way I go.