I was thinking the same way when I built my KR. ?I flew it 500 hrs with no
flaps, belly board, or any other deployable drag. ?What I found over the years
is that as I kept improving the plane with incremental drag reductions, the
plane was getting more difficult to land. ?I was spending too much time over
the runway transitioning from flying to rolling. ?At 500 hours, I did some
major renovations to the plane <http://jeffsplanes.com> to include a
significantly larger tail and the addition of flaps. ?To me, it was shocking as
to how much easier this plane is to land with some kind of deployable drag. ?I
have put another 500 hours on the plane since I added the flaps and have
continued with my drag reduction improvements. ?It is really rare that I ever
land this plane without flaps now that they are on there.

I don't think there was much question that I could fly the plane well in it's
original configuration. ?(OK, some of you may think I suck as a pilot :o) ?What
I discovered after adding flaps and a larger tail is that the plane was much
easier to land. ?By making it easier to land, I found that I was much more
comfortable landing the plane in more challenging wind conditions. ?Since I
could land under more challenging conditions, I was flying the plane a lot more
and was very comfortable flying off to other places without having to worry
about changing wind conditions at my destination airport or the often times
challenging wind conditions getting back into my one way in, one way out, 7000'
high on a mesa home airport. ?Adding flaps and a larger tail to my plane simply
made my plane so I could use it a more.

-Jeff Scott
Los Alamos, NM