Thanks for all the suggestions and insights regarding moving the main gear
on my tri-gear KR-2.  I understand that my particular KR-2 may not be
typical concerning tipping on the tail during boarding and de-boarding.  The
why part is fairly obvious after a bit of on the airplane experimenting.
With half fuel and otherwise empty, I placed two 50-pound sand bags on the
front of the baggage compartment shelf: Tips over right now.  I can do the
same thing without the sand bags by hanging on to the front of the turtle
deck in a climb aboard stance.  If I jump on or off quickly, I can avoid the
tipping.  The arm of the sand bags is 50 inches.  Going back to my weight
and balance spread sheet, I played with the numbers to see where the cg
would be during the loading sequence.  My wheels are currently at 17 inches
from datum.  CG for the sand bag test was 17.1 inches.  Not a violent tip
back but it goes over.  This is the same math Mr. Pazmany presents in his
design book.
So, how did this come about?  When I was attaching the Diehl gear to the
spars, I was cautioned not to get the wheels to far aft because the elevator
may not have enough authority to rotate the aircraft for take off at minimum
take off speed.  Don't know what the moment for the elevator would be at 55
knots, but now I am somewhat sure there is plenty of authority at that tail.
At the time I could have easily set the main wheels another 2 inches aft by
choosing where to drill the holes in the gear leg.  No where was there any
direction as to exactly what the number should be.  I went conservative
regarding the elevator authority consideration.
Further playing with the weight and balance numbers for worse case
situations with fuel and heavy passenger, shows the tipping cg to be at 19
inches from datum.  The cg would move forward to 14.6 inches when all are
seated, still only 2.4 inches margin for tipping and not desirable for
flying.
Going back and drilling new holes in the gear leg is not prudent.  Would
need to get another set of gear legs to start over.  Also the bottom of the
stub wing would have to be reworked to get aileron push rod clearance.  This
approach is looking like another year of down time for me.
Mark Langford suggested adding an extension plate at each axel.  That would
enable moving the wheels 2 inches aft and not generate any toe in or out
issues.   Would have to re-work the wheel fairings and extend the brake
lines.  I do have some 1/4 inch 4130 plate that might work.
So, the plan is to put 30 pounds temporarily in the nose for better ground
handling and continue the flight testing.  When the extension plates are
ready, stand down the aircraft for installation and remove the ballast.
Then continue the flight testing.  Further plan on limiting passenger weight
to about 100 pounds; that will be viable for Young Eagles rides.  Not what I
wanted, but that is reality.

Sid Wood
Tri-gear KR-2 N6242
Mechanicsville, MD, USA

...This morning with just myself onboard and half fuel, the cg is at 12.6
inches.  I tried raising the nose on a fast taxi down the runway.  With an
estimated steady ground speed of 25 knots, I can easily raise the nose wheel
off the pavement with back stick about two inches...

Sid Wood
Can't you simply bolt an appropriate sized adapter plate to your current
lower gear attach bracket that extends rearward just enough to keep the
thing off it's tail?  Assuming it's thick enough, I would not expect any
toe/camber geometry changes, although if you have wheel pants, they would
need some reworking to meet up with the gear legs.

That's essentially what I did to make my gear longer, except I went down
instead of aft.  Really, I just made a new lower bracket that was longer,
but essentially the same concept.  It worked, but I didn't like the view
over the cowling.  You could also take that approach...redesigned bottom
gear brackets that relocate the wheels further aft.

Mark Langford

...I also flew quite a bit in Terry Chezik's KR2 trigear as well getting
trained up - I do not recall an issue with his...
Rob Schmitt