Mark,
I already have the top bolts on the upper gear legs with steel fender
washers on the upper surface of the fiberglass.  The bottom of the legs have
a single aluminum plate on the fiberglass, all per your suggestion several
years ago.  With the aft extension I will put a steel plate in place of the
aluminum plate on the bottom gear leg fiberglass to increase the clamping
action.  My reasoning is to prevent splitting the gear leg due to increased
twisting during landing and rough field operations.  Overall the extension
will be a flat plate, 0.250 x 3.0 x 5.5 inches.  I am waiting for the 4130
steel from AC Spruce now.

And still waiting for anyone to volunteer what the main gear position
location is for their tri-gear KR-2.

Sid Wood
Tri-gear KR-2 N6242
Mechanicsville, MD, USA