I converted a KR 2 from a taildragger to a nose dragger for a friend of mine
many years ago. I wrote about it at the time. That plane then became mine
temporarily.  I described his losing power we were pretty sure of at the time
from vapor lock. He thought he was going to die but at the last second he
managed to get the nose up some before he hit hard. It broke both Diehl
fiberglass landing gears and the wheel on one of them came through the bottom
of the stub wing. If fuel had been there I hate to think what might of
happened. He had a header tank.
My point is when he bought the new Diehl main and nose gear and wanted me to
convert the plane for him. The Diehl gear has a taper on one side of it. If you
put that taper against the Diehl aluminum gear casting it makes the fiberglass
gear really go aft as it should be if you want a nose wheel.
Sid did you use the straight side or the tapered side of the fiberglass landing
gear towards the aluminum fitting and spar and did you place the aluminum
fitting on the aft side of the spar. If you didn't do both these things then
this may be your problem. If you did both then you may need heavier shoes !
Larry H