Just as a side note on bending. In our manufacturing business we've made
hundreds of thousands of bends on tubing. We've owned and used Swiss made
mandrel benders and regular hydraulic benders. The mandrel benders if adjusted
properly maintain the roundness of the tubing as it's being bent. Without the
internal mandrel adjusted to contact the inside walls of the tubing just behind
the beginning point of the bend, the tubing wall will collapse inward on the
inside radius which will cause the finished part to be slightly oval, rather
than almost perfectly round, which weakens the tubing bend. A typical hydraulic
bender like your local muffler shop uses does collapse the inside radius wall.
The bottom line is all benders stretch the outside radius tubing wall. In other
words a .035 wall tubing would be less than .035 after the bend was complete on
the outside of the bend. On larger tubing like a lot of the tubing we bend
daily, the steel becomes heated from the stretching and compressing forces
applied by the bending dies. When bending larger tubing there is not enough
heat to affect the metallurgic makeup quality as welding it will. The only
reason I know the wall stretches and thins out is because many years back one
of my suppliers delivered us a load of inferior steel tubing that during the
bending process the steel stretched as far as it could then ripped open. I was
shocked to see how thin the wall had become. Since then ever so often when we
receive tubing I make a bend on it then cut through the center of the 90 degree
bend to check the remaining wall thickness. As some would say "Who'd a Thunk
That"
I am no expert on this subject but I'll bet I have personally made a minimum of
100,000 bends on tubing in my short 45 years working in and owning
manufacturing businesses. I can't count  how many bends have been made for me!

Larry H