Rob is absolutely right.  As for what you can fly that has a similar feel, I
recommend some time in a Sonex.  The KR is a bit slicker, and most are lighter
on the elevator and a bit heavier on the ailerons.  If your KR has flaps or
belly board, I don't think either is as effective as the flaps on the Sonex, so
if you are training for a KR, don't use full flaps for landing.  If you have no
flaps, practice that way.

Time in one of the RV series is also helpful, although most RVs have a greater
HP to weight ratio and again, their flaps are more effective than the flaps or
belly board on a KR.  The RV also has a bit lighter ailerons and heavier
elevator as compared to a KR.

-Jeff Scott
Los Alamos, NM