Randy Moore wrote:

> has anyone used a piano hinge around the firewall to attach the cowl to? I
> have a friend with a glass air done this way works good, any thoughts?

That's exactly how I did it and it works great!  See the bottom of
http://www.n56ml.com/cowling.html for the "after" picture.  Surely I
took some pictures of the joint you're referring to, but really, I did
it so fast I may have forgotten to photograph it.  I'll see if I can
find a few. I riveted the hinge to the carbon fiber.  I wasn't sure it
would work, but it did.

One thing I did that made it easier than the RV installation I've seen
is that I ran the hinge pin in from the rear, so it doesn't start out in
a sharp curve.  When it hits the tight curve at the front, it binds up,
and you don't have to worry about it loosening, although I did put a
loop in the aft end and secure it with a #4 wood screw for good measure.

If things tighten up, you can give yourself a little more clearance with
piano wire from AS&S or Wicks, which is a few thousandths smaller in
diameter.  I also learned to wax the hinge pins if things got
tight...makes a world of difference.  I highly recommend it over
screws...much quicker, much more secure, and invisible from the outside.
  I did use five #8 screws on the top of the cowling...because it's got
a sharp curve on each end...

--
Mark Langford
ML at N56ML.com