I seem to recall someone telling me they had to lean over the panel to get
some forward c of g in order to get out of a spin.

C of g is very important in a short coupled KR.
Over here the CAA stipulated C of G no further back than the rear face of
the main spar.   That was for the original short KR2 - and a long time ago.
Probably all changed now.
Cheers,
Mac   G-BVZJ