>  for the first time our authority has asked me to justify my MTOW
> of 1200lbs (545kg).

I licensed my KR for 1300 pounds gross.  At that weight the design is
rated at 4.3 G's (7 G's X 800=5600 pounds / 1300 = 4.3G's).  While
the structure is designed to handle that weight it may not be
aerodynamically capable of flying at that weight because of the CG
location at that weight.  Do a careful W&B to see what weight keeps
you in the CG range.  When Mark Langford and I flew to Oshkosh at
very near that weight it was as far aft CG as I would care to fly and
my KR is a 24 inch stretch.  A standard KR is probably not capable of
being loaded to that weight due to aft CG range.  A KR with fuselage
tanks of 16 or more gallon, be careful as CG will shift rearward
noticeably with fuel burn.  A normal flight for me (500+ hours to
date) is in the 1050 to 1100 pound range.  My KR has the RAF48
airfoil and is actually 8 inches shorter than planned wing
span.  Wings with the Diehl wings or wings longer than standard, the
design G rating will be slightly less due to the longer span.  The KR
is one tough bird but it does have it's limits.  Check the design CG
rating of a Cessna or other spam cans.  I think you'll find they are
in the 3.5 range or close to that.  Ask your authority why they let
them fly at the weights they do. :-)

Larry Flesner