I think similar items are considered more a backup for emergency use
rather than the only equipment, but hey, the FCC approves them in the
transceiver sense, and even the big boys often carry one as a last ditch
comm means.   Not sure about the VOR aspect though, but likely that also
would be considered as a secondary means of navigation, not the only
means.    If you only fly VFR and your handheld fuctioned adequately to
communicate with whoever you desire, I doubt that anyone would be
concerned.    How is a tower or anyone else to know, if you are on
frequency and the signal is strong enough?

Second opinions welcome.

George