Paul Visk wrote:

>>I'm starting to look for airports in the area to base my airplane at. Im
>>finding the public airports do not allow you to bring your own mogas in. They
>>state safety concerns.  Is this common?<<

That's certainly the case at the three major airports around my place.  But the
manager of the one I started out at told me privately "just don't let me or
anybody else see it".  I subsequently put 40 hours on it without buying any
100LL, and got no complaints.  I assume you'd have access at night.  It's worth
mentioning that some (very few) airports do sell mogas, although it's often 87
octane...probably not what you want.  And I'd think stability of a low-turnover
fuel would be iffy.

Having said that, you definitely want to start out burning 100LL, for the
detonation and vapor lock resistance.  Gradually work up to pure autofuel.
I've been using auto fuel in N891JF over the winter, but I always have at least
25% 100LL in the tank for extra margin until I can install a second tank and do
some inflight testing to prove that pure auto fuel will work for me with this
engine on a hot summer day after idling on the ground, for example at SNF...

Mark Langford, Harvest, AL
ML at N56ML.com
www.N56ML.com