On 9/19/2015 2:36 PM, gluejam via KRnet wrote:
> In order for any other type to qualify, there must be no external power
> needed to make it operational. Therefore, unless one of the
> magnetometers you have researched will always operate reliably without
> externally supplied power, then no, I can't agree.

There is no legal requirement for a non-powered compass.  A powered
compass meets the intent and letter of the requirement.

  AC 23.1311-1C section 8.8:

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC%2023.1311-1C.pdf

8.8.1  General.
a.
The operating rules, such as part 91 and part 135, specify the minimum
required
equipment that must be installed in part 23 airplanes based on the
operation, such as VFR or IFR.
Under VFR operation, part 91, ? 91.205, requires a magnetic direction
indicator (that is normally
intended to be a compass) for heading information.  Under IFR operation,
part 91, ? 91.205,
requires a gyroscopically stabilized heading system.  Section
23.1303(c), Amendment 23-62,
amended the requirement from ?A direction indicator (non-stabilized
magnetic compass)? to ?A
magnetic direction indicator.?  As new technology becomes more
affordable for part 23 airplanes,
many electronic flight instrument systems will use magnetically
stabilized direction indicators (or
electric compass systems) to measure and indicate the airplane heading
to provide better
performance.

8.8.2  Magnetic Non-Stabilized Direction Indicator.
   A magnetic non-stabilized
direction indicator that is required by ? 23.1303 should have an
accuracy of 10 degrees or have a correction card

-Dj

--
Dj Merrill - N1JOV - EAA Chapter 87
Sportsman 2+2 Builder #7118 N421DJ - http://deej.net/sportsman/