Sid Wood wrote:

> Looks like I will have to get a different carb that has a practical
> mixture control. That new carb will probably not have a choke; so,
> would need a primer system. Along with that would come the hot start
> drama.

I have an Ellison EFS-3A on my Corvair, with a primer in each log (all 6
cylinders).  I only need it when the engine is cold, and even on hot
summer days, I give it a little one-second squirt to get things started
if it's the first start of the day (that's what happens when the carb is
down low, and the engine's up high).  It starts shockingly fast when
cold, and if parked hot, it starts instantly without any kind of primer
activity.  No drama there.  If anything, the LyCon guys stare with envy
at how quick it starts.

When it's "cold" and I use the primer, I goose it for a second, wait two
or three seconds for it to move closer to the cylinders, and then it
fires almost instantly.  I get a big kick out of hearing the Cessna guys
grinding away for several minutes, battery getting weaker, and I hop in
and fire it up and fly away while they're still screwing around trying
to get their bird started.  The VW with the EFS-2 is exactly the same
way.  I highly recommend the Ellison.  As Steve Makish (who's tried just
about every carb known to man on his VW/Subaru/Corvair powered KR2),
"put an Ellison on it and you're done".  I took his advice...

Mark Langford
ML at N56ML.com
http://www.n56ml.com