Pete Klapp wrote:

> I have done calculations with pilot plus 1/2 fuel and it falls at 2" into
> the RR cg range, and pilot & passenger plus 3/4 fuel and cg falls within
> 6" preferred cg range, the later coming in right at the aft edge of the
> preferred range. I'm thinking that I would like set the engine such that
> with me and 1/2 fuel that the cg falls right at the fwd cg limit.<

N891JF is right at the forward limit with pilot and full fuel, and I can
tell you that I need a lot of UP trim to keep the nose up, but it's a small
trim tab and I still have plenty of travel left, so it does work.  Forward
is certainly better than too far aft, and even though yours has a nosewheel,
I wouldn't expect any problems being able to rotate the nose up on takeoff.
It's easy enough to move some things aft if needed later, and it's better to
start with max stability, rather than min.

> Next question: The horizontal engine centerline with the temporary engine
> mount is 2.5" below the top of the upper longerons. I'd like to drop the
> centerline a little more, 1/2 to 3/4", for better clearance for engine
> cowling and cooling plenum. Anyone see a problem with that.<

My CG is 2.375" below the longerons on N56ML, and it's not a problem at all
in any respect with my plane.

Mark Langford
ML at N56ML.com
website at http://www.N56ML.com