> "The sump is not the worst place to shed heat."

Sure isn't.  The more fins or circulation around the sump the better, at
least in hot weather for sure.  Getting it too hot can cause it to crack,
the magnesium ones more easily than the aluminum ones I've got the idea
in my head . . . don't know if it's true.  I think the crankcases are a
combination of both metals?  I saw Lloyd Buckner go through two magnesium
crankcases from Revmaster, I think two times within the space of one
year, both from running the engine too hot, relying on an oil temp gauge
that was not accurate.  Or maybe the sensor was in the wrong place.  He
built two KR's, his second one was really nice and went to someone at
VGT.  Nobody has heard anything more about that plane here locally at
Gillespie.  I would imagine it's flying since Lloyd delivered it up there
and it was ready to go flying, but haven't head anything more here at
Gillespie.   High temps cracked both magnesium sumps and he got tired of
spending so much money and sold it to buy a Porsche.  He had upgraded the
heads with the larger valves which might mean he was producing more power
than the engine originally produced, which would up the temps even more.
I don't know if the had the Revmaster oil cooler or not but I would think
he would have.  The oil cooler may block flow around the sump?  They have
a great oil cooler but it may impede cooling air around the crankcase.  I
think in Lloyd's case he was just thinking his engine was running a lot
cooler than it was.

Mike
KSEE

StyleBistro