Has anyone checked out Motorav.com? It looks to me like they have done what
should be done with regard to the basic VW type 1 engine.  According to
their  web site, the have done finite element analysis on it and have made
new molds for the case, beefing up certain areas where indicated and
manufacturing new jugs and heads. Work on the heads and cylinders have been
significant, increasing the size and number of cooling fins, etc. Looks
like the heads have the ports on the bottom instead of the top.  Their 2.4
L runs 85hp @ 2900.  I don't know what the prices are like though...

Phill Hill
Collinsville, IL