On 09/08/2016 03:12 PM, Nerobro via KRnet wrote:
> So the
> only real justification I can see for it is "My e-mail looks nasty."

In the spirit of a healthy discussion, I'll toss in my observations.

The number one issue is searching.  If there are dozens of emails all
containing the same text (ie, the text being replied to that wasn't
properly trimmed), then search results turn up dozens of results that
are effectively all the same thing.  On a popular topic, you could get
pages and pages of search results, which makes finding the good bits
difficult at best.

The number two issue is putting the reply ABOVE the text is completely
illogical to the way our language is read.  We read from top to bottom.
Trimming the reply with the relevant text at the top with the reply
below it makes it very easy to read and keep context.  Remove the
relevant text and we have no context.  Put it at the bottom and you have
to read the bottom of the message, then scroll back to the top to get
the context.

For those of you that might be interested in this sort of thing, the
above advice also complies with RFC 1855 "Netiquette Guidelines" that
offer an overview of the proper way to interact on a mailing list.

One other good piece of advice from RFC 1855, "Do not blame the system
administrator for the behavior of the system users."  :-)

> I've noticed, that in general, people building airplanes aren't the
> most computer literate people.

You are entirely correct.  I see this as an opportunity for those that
are more computer literate to gently help educate those that aren't.  It
does require that people be willing to learn, and also be willing to
make the small amount of extra effort (such as your point about having
to click a button to see the extra text).

A lot of this is compounded by broken email clients which do the
opposite of good netiquette, ie. they start the reply at the top and
encourage people to make messy, hard-to-read emails.  Most email clients
offer the option of changing this behavior to put the reply text at the
bottom, which also requires a small amount of effort to learn and make
the change.

Well worth it in the long run, though.

-Dj

--