I've been sitting here for an hour, starting, erasing, restarting, editing,
trying to figure out how to say what I need to say, so I'll just say it I
guess. After a couple of years of trying to complete this project, I have
run into so serious snags. Pardon me as I get long winded.  First off, I
purchased an abandoned project that was quite far along that had one major
flaw and that was the glass parts of the structure was wavy and uneven. It
didn't matter to me, I have lots of fiberglass experience on boats and
hovercraft. I made this decision after many months of checking the project
over against the plans etc. Ok so I cut all the glass off, fixed a couple
little things and began making the other decisions necessary to move
forward, like center stick or dual stick, seat position, flaps of no flaps.
In the mean time I began contacting EAA Tech counselors to get official
guidance on my project. I decided to keep the project stock with original
retract gear and re-engineer the gear lock mechanism as everyone else has
done. Then my Dad became ill and I spent most of my time caring for this
great WWII Navy Vet and stopped working on the plane. A year later Dad
passed away and I took some time off to rest up and help my mom.

Lack of a Tech Counselor is one of the major problems I have. I initially
contacted the EAA and got a list, three in my area. I contacted everyone on
the list. One had moved and not updated the EAA so he was out. One had
moved farther away than he was comfortable travelling. One didn't give me
the time of day. I went to the local EAA chapter and they didn't have
anyone at the time but gave me the name of a guy who was going to be their
designated Tech Counselor (TC). I contacted him, talked to him face to face
at the meeting and set up an appointment. He had t drive through my town on
the way back from work so it was perfect. Well, he was a no show. I called
him several times and got no answer, left messages etc.  Nothing.  Ok, so
now what. I continued down the path I had started so as not to be just
sitting around. I knew where I was going and until some told me otherwise I
was just going to continue but I couldn't get too far ahead of myself.

So I finally made phone contact with the original guy from the EAA list
that didn't give me the time of day.  He was about to go to Europe for a
month and we set a time to make contact again after her returned. He asked
me for my contact details etc. I was excited to get this underway. Well,
the allotted time came and went, no contact. Sent the guy several emails
(his preferred method of contact), and left him a couple voice mails and
got no return.

I kept on working, I got an experienced KR builder to stop by and take a
look. He gave me a few pointers, and suggested a few things, which I did. I
heard a fellow KR builder had enlisted the original guy I had arrangement
with as his adviser, so I made contact with him again. I told him about the
project again and he said he had a few other things to do and he would call
me right back. The call never came. So now, I'm really ticked off. I get
the fact these guys are volunteers but wow. I decided I was going to have
to be the worlds biggest pest and push the issue then I thought, do I
really want someone inspecting my project and giving me advice whose heart
is not in it. Not a chance. If I was the TC and I had a guy hounding me,
would I have a good attitude about it? Would I be able to look at his
project objectively?  Probably not.

Now the WAF (wife approval factor) is at an all time low.  She has asked me
to give up my dream. She wants me to concentrate on my artistic skills
etc.  I can't afford to buy a plane, I can't afford the high annual
expenses etc. My only option was to use my engineering, intuition and
skills and build something that I could use to stay flying. I'm in great
health, take no meds for anything, and it would be a shame to waste a
perfectly good FAA Medical. But alas, it must not have been meant to be.

So, for a reasonable period of time, my project is for sale. I have a
conventional, retractable gear, slightly widened (2"-3") KR-2 torn down,
back to boat stage with 2 sets of wings. One set built with Deihl wing
skins with 10gal fuel tanks in each wing. The other set was built to plans.
I have VW engine engine mount and a few other odds and ends. Gear just
needs to be re-attached etc and its rolling or convert it to fixed gear.
Also have forward deck with fuel tank built-in per plans. Pictures upon
request (Off List Please). Second set of wings (Deihl skinned) for sale
separately from the KR-2.

Anyway, this is not the way I wanted to go. I have engineered and air
tested several innovations I thought would enhance the KR but now that will
be lost. Sad to have to let this go. It's all I've wanted to do since I was
in high school. Oh well.

I apologize for the long winded post. I needed to vent a little.

Phill Hill,
Collinsville, IL
phill.hill at gmail.com
(618)567-5275