> "Serge F. Vidal" <serge.vi...@ate-international.com> writes:
> On ZS-WEC, my KR2, I converted all the automotive
> size instruments into aircraft size (2.25 inches) instruments.
>
> All I had to do was to make square flanges of the correct
> size out of aluminium 2.8mm sheets (I dreamt of a thicker,
> plastic sheet, without finding one), then cut out a hole in
> the middle at the correct automotive hole size, slip the
> instrument in, and voila!

  I make the same kind of flanges from ~0.090" clear acrylic
  plastic sheet --- the same stock from Home Depot that I use
  for making windows, landing light covers, etc.

  For the miniature automotive gauges ( ~1-5/8" diameter ), I
  make a "size proportionate" flange and 4-40 machine screws
  rather than up-size the gauge into a 2.25" Aircraft Hole with
  6-32 screws.  These are great space-saver gauges in a KR-1
  sized panel.

  For some I've even epoxied (or Crazy Glue, cyanoacrylate ?)
  rivnuts into the corner holes for ease of installation.  Counter-
  boring both sides of the flange and *pulling* the rivnut is a bit
  more problematic and sometimes breaks the corner off.

  a r t

  Art Cacella   1970 American AA-1  N6155L  "Dinkie"
                      1972 KR-1 Plans, still not started <sigh>
                      ( but four metal homebuilts underway )
  Winston-Salem, NC

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!