Out here there is not a lot to distract us from the task of building our
first plane together

Good Luck Pete (& Sarah)

I am sure you have already done this, but if not, research the mods that are
most popular before you start.

After many months of doing exactly that, for what it is worth, I believe
that a KR2S with the cockpit widened to 39" (or so) and the fuselage
stretched something like 4" ahead of the main spar and AT LEAST 14" aft of
the rear spar makes for a near perfect and very cost effective 2 seat
airplane.

These mods are relatively simple and have no negative impact on the design
intergity (strength) of the fuselage.  The do impact on factory supplied
canopy and deckings.

There are tons of other mods including the updated with section, better
hinges for the tail feathers etc. - then a thousand engine options ranging
from Rotary, through Veedub to Vair, or a regular certified motor - even a
turbine if you wish.

You will have ample time to consider these in the months (years) ahead.  The
mods mentioned above happen in the early stages of building and need a
decision before you start.

Good luck
Ron