I can tell you for sure that zinc chromate will flake right off the first
time the wings are installed.  Mine used to be zinc chromated, but it's hard
to tell that now!  Best thing is to have them plated somehow, like RR does.
Hydrogen embrittlement may be a concern though, so check for compatibilty
with 4130 first.  Here's something I found in a quick search of the web:

"One comment is by a guy who overdrilled a spar bolt hole, and then did a
D-I-Y plating job on the bolt to bring it back up to size:
>Here's what worked for me:  I contacted Caswell Plating
(www.caswellplating.com) and bought an 8oz. bottle of their CopyChrome
nickel plating solution.  Following their directions, I plated the bolt up
to 0.377" then baked it at 400° F for 4 hours to take care of any hydrogen
embrittlement.  It worked great.  I also plated some 4130 scraps and was
pleased with their appearance.   The plating looked like it should be pretty
durable.  I even soaked a 4130 piece in saltwater overnight and saw no
effect.   It's not quite chrome, but it
looks pretty good.  "

Mark Langford, Huntsville, Alabama
see KR2S project N56ML at http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford