Hi Bobby.

Another factor to consider when deciding to modify or not is that the KR
with retracts is not a soft or rough field aircraft for several reasons.
The aircraft is too close to the ground, and the retracts were too springy.
My gear uplock per plans shook so hard and violently during my only
experience on soft field that I never tried it again till I converted.  That
one trip bent every bolt in the retract system. Lastly the retract never
gave most of us extra speed that we hoped for and the potential for ground
accidents increased.

The fixed gear conversion was the best thing that ever happened to my KR.

Orma
Southfield, MI
KR-2  N110LR  1984
See Tweety at http://www.kr-2.aviation-mechanics.com