From: krnet-bounces+fred=renotruss....@mylist.net
[mailto:krnet-bounces+fred=renotruss....@mylist.net] On Behalf Of D F
Lively
Sent: Friday, August 04, 2006 12:41 PM
To: KRnet
Subject: Re: KR> Subaru engines

Netters:

You raised some valid questions.  I have looked @ Subies and observed
that they
get Max torque somewhere in the low 4000s rpm range and Max power at say
the
mid 5000s rpm range.  Almost all would requre a PSRU because their
bearing wont
take the prop pull.  I would say that running that engine at max torque
for a
redline might have some durability issues as most in cars driver at
highway
speeds run in the 3000 rpm range so my thoughts are that limitting the
revs to
the mid or upper 3000s would be prudent and a PSRU ratio to give a prop
rpm in
the 2700 to 3000 range appropriate for durability.  Whether this would
leed to
adequate power availability I can not say.  What I liked about the Subi
is the
fact it is liquid cooled which would be nice for cabin heat with NO or a
very
limited risk of CO poisoning.

I think one must look at the RPM settings of the design and the PSRU
ratios
involved to evaluate engine logevity becuse clearly running an engine at
or
above its max torque RPM will surely work a hardship on engine life as a
general rule.

My opinion from a reasoned judgement not from experience or personal
knowledge.

IT is a Safe bet that neither the Corvair or VW based engines will last
as many
hours as they do normally if ran "Flat Out" either.

Don

Mark Langford wrote:

> Fred Johnson wrote:
>
> > Hey Mark, since it is so quiet today, do you know of anyone
successfully
> > using either a Subaru or Geo engine in a KR?
>
> Steve Makish and Bob Lester have a lot of hours on a Subaru (don't
know
> exactly which one).  They were big proponents until Steve wore his
case out
> a couple of times at about 300 hours.  His opinion is that they can't
take
> the RPMs, and are not worth the trouble.  He's now flying a Corvair.
He's