Hey Chris and welcome!
Mark L has stated many times here that the original RR parts that can be
ordered only fit a stock KR2 or S, and most are modified in length more than
just the S; almost all new construction have stated they are definitely
wider. This precludes the use of any of the pre-molded stock, as they will
not fit the increase in width. It is your choice if you feel that modifying
an existing piece, or making one from scratch is better. I can tell you that
cost wise, scratch built is better.  Depending on your engine choice, a
Revmaster cowling might be a good investment. Grove landing gear is the
easiest to install, but Dan Diehl seems to look the best from what builders
report (mine is 5.00 x 5 Cleveland on Diehl conventional with Matco
tailwheel).  Most seem to like a canopy from Todd's or the Dragonfly
supplier, but many still run the RR with mods for width. Dan Heath has a
custom one, as does Mark Jones, Mark Langford. Mine is a Dragonfly that has
been cut and dual gull wings made into the frame.  Most builders seem to be
looking at alternate sources of easier parts to work with, such as AS&S or
Wicks, or Summit Racing (for belts, fuel tanks, MSD parts, etc...)

I believe the Dan Diehl wing skins are still available, but the push now is
the new wing designed for the KR2S, the AS504X. Mark L can hook you up with
a download for wing templates to install, and his web page details the
entire process of conversion or one off construction.

Most will be dependent on how handy you are, how much imagination you have,
and how much patience you have. The more you like to tinker and do it "your
way", the more I encourage you to just learn all you can, and then build it
your way, to suit you.  Remember, ultimately you have to be happy with your
creation, so it needs to fit YOUR BILL, not someone else's.

Happy building....

Colin Rainey
brokerpi...@bellsouth.net