I don't think you will find technical data from glue manufacturers that
recommends "roughing up" a surface to be glued.  A smooth freshly planed or
sawn surface is best.  Roughing increases the thickness of the glue line and
that is generally not a good idea.  Lightly scuffing plywood with sandpaper to
remove manufacturing residue is the exception.  Epoxies tend to forgive us for
small transgressions, but why not go with the adhesive manufacturer's
recommendations?  I wouldn't worry about the sanding of end grain.  End grain
joints don't have much structural integrity anyway.  Gussets and/or blocks
secure those joints.
Rich Hartwig
Waunakee WI