Do you know why it overheated? Was it running lean? Do you have EGT guages?

-Ben

On Wednesday 25 April 2007, Mark Jones wrote:
> N886MJ made a flight yesterday after it's aborted takeoff the day before.
What I did prior to the flight was to adjust my Ellison carb which was way
out of whack. I had previously set up the carb for cold weather flying and
she would not idle in warmer weather so I made some adjustments. I achieved a
very smooth idle at 900 rpm and also regained my static rpm of 2750. As I
taxied out yesterday, everything was green to go. Static rpm hit 2750. She
cycled through all rpm ranges very smooth. Everything felt good so I called
the tower and was cleared for takeoff on runway 28. This was about 6:30 last
night and there was no one else moving on the field. As I slowly firewalled
her she quickly began picking up speed. As I reached rotation I was at 3000
rpm and she lifted off like she really wanted to fly. Everything felt great
and I was headed straight out due west over the interstate. As I passed
through 800 feet, I took note that the oil temp was at 190° and oil pressure
was at 28 psi. Then I started noticing an rpm drop. I checked the throttle to
make sure it was not backing out and checked the mixture. At the same time, I
called the tower and informed them that I was turning crosswind and would
like to stay in the pattern and I was cleared to do so. As I was turning
crosswind, the rpm dropped to 2500 and began running rough. I called the
tower and informed them I was losing power and would like to turn in to
runway 10 for a 180° straight back to the runway. That is when the tower
asked if I was going to need assistance. It's nice to be in good with the
tower as they know me and did not ask if I was declaring an emergency. Anyway
I told the tower that I would be able to make the runway since I still had
enough power to maintain flight (but I really did not know how long that was
going to last). When I had the runway made, I throttled back and set her down
on runway 10 and the tower asked if I would need tow assistance. Luckily, she
was running fine at 1500 rpm and I taxied in under my own power. Once again,
I beat the odds. I pulled the cowl off and the engine was so hot, I could
have fried eggs on top of it. As a matter of fact, I was cleaning the prop
off and the overspray from the cleaner sizzled when it hit the engine. Today,
I went to the hangar and took a look. I did a cold compression test and got
the following:
> 1 = 80/78
> 3 = 80/60
> 5 = 80/54
> 2 = 80/46
> 4 = 80/74
> 6 = 80/62
> Not good in my opinion. All the air was escaping into the engine case and
none through the intake or exhaust. This told me that either I had cracked
rings or cracked pistons. So I began disassembling the engine. I have removed
both heads and have pulled all jugs and removed all rods and pistons from the
crank. That is about as far as I have gotten as I had to stop to go to
Daddy's Night at my daughters school. I will say that the rings were not
cracked. I have not removed the rings from the pistons yet to inspect the
piston. The rod bearings looked like new so there is no problem there. I will
continue with the disassembly and do a complete inspection and rebuild. I
will beat this devil riding on my shoulder!!!

http://www.kr2forum.com/phpBB2/index.php

--
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your
eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long