From: krnet-boun...@mylist.net [mailto:krnet-boun...@mylist.net] On Behalf
Of Mark Jones
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 5:24 PM
To: KRnet
Subject: KR> Re: Aborted Takeoff Follow Up.

N886MJ made a flight yesterday after it's aborted takeoff the day before.
What I did prior to the flight was to adjust my Ellison carb which was way
out of whack. I had previously set up the carb for cold weather flying and
she would not idle in warmer weather so I made some adjustments. I achieved
a very smooth idle at 900 rpm and also regained my static rpm of 2750. As I
taxied out yesterday, everything was green to go. Static rpm hit 2750. She
cycled through all rpm ranges very smooth. Everything felt good so I called
the tower and was cleared for takeoff on runway 28. This was about 6:30 last
night and there was no one else moving on the field. As I slowly firewalled
her she quickly began picking up speed. As I reached rotation I was at 3000
rpm and she lifted off like she really wanted to fly. Everything felt great
and I was headed straight out due west over the interstate. As I passed
through 800 feet, I took note that the oil temp was at 190° and oil pressure
was at 28 psi. Then I started noticing an rpm drop. I checked the throttle
to make sure it was not backing out and checked the mixture. At the same
time, I called the tower and informed them that I was turning crosswind and
would like to stay in the pattern and I was cleared to do so. As I was
turning crosswind, the rpm dropped to 2500 and began running rough. I called
the tower and informed them I was losing power and would like to turn in to
runway 10 for a 180° straight back to the runway. That is when the tower
asked if I was going to need assistance. It's nice to be in good with the
tower as they know me and did not ask if I was declaring an emergency.
Anyway I told the tower that I would be able to make the runway since I
still had enough power to maintain flight (but I really did not know how
long that was going to last). When I had the runway made, I throttled back
and set her down on runway 10 and the tower asked if I would need tow
assistance. Luckily, she was running fine at 1500 rpm and I taxied in under
my own power. Once again, I beat the odds. I pulled the cowl off and the
engine was so hot, I could have fried eggs on top of it. As a matter of
fact, I was cleaning the prop off and the overspray from the cleaner sizzled
when it hit the engine. Today, I went to the hangar and took a look. I did a
cold compression test and got the following:
1 = 80/78
3 = 80/60
5 = 80/54
2 = 80/46
4 = 80/74
6 = 80/62
Not good in my opinion. All the air was escaping into the engine case and
none through the intake or exhaust. This told me that either I had cracked
rings or cracked pistons. So I began disassembling the engine. I have
removed both heads and have pulled all jugs and removed all rods and pistons
from the crank. That is about as far as I have gotten as I had to stop to go
to Daddy's Night at my daughters school. I will say that the rings were not
cracked. I have not removed the rings from the pistons yet to inspect the
piston. The rod bearings looked like new so there is no problem there. I
will continue with the disassembly and do a complete inspection and rebuild.
I will beat this devil riding on my shoulder!!!

Mark Jones (N886MJ)
Wales, WI
Visit my web site: www.flykr2s.com
E-mail: flyk...@wi.rr.com