I have even one MORE thing to be thankful for this Thanksgiving!!!

I just made my 1st cross country flight Tuesday. It took me four days to
make a proper flight plan to get there (you should see all the balled up
paper on the floor of my bedroom!), and two hours to make the one for
coming back, so I guess I finally have it  mastered.  Although I really
couldn't make out half of the smaller way points, I realize in reality
that those small rural ones wont be used too much, its mostly look for
the larger towns and landmarks along the way, especially at night.  I
also now know how to intercept VOR radials to verify my way points.

None the less, we left GPT at 4:30, made it the 74 miles up to Pinebelt
Regional (PIB), did two touch and goes, and started back. Pilotage up
there, VOR back using V114 out of the Eaton VOR. By now it was dusk so
this would be my 1st night flight. I made out Griffin Memorials' (M24)
beacon when we were about 5 miles south of the Eaton VOR. FLASH, FLASH,
FLASH, FLASH......nothing. It figures that their beacon would go out on
MY 1st cross country, but thats OK, I just kept on Eatons166 radial till
I saw the lights of Wiggins (in other words, the Wal Mart parking lot),
then headed to the GPT VOR. The air was cool and dense, and the 172 was
flying smooth and steady. I got to McHenry, got a visual on the TV
towers to the east of 49 and felt good about knowing my way points. Over
Hwy 53, Lyman intersection down below, Shadetree apt to the west,
another way point recognized. Now turn on the landing light and give the
Piper passing to my south a good visual on me, and ATC instructs me to
follow him in; #2 to 1-8. He passes in front and I turn to the east to
intercept the extended runway for 18. Lights are low, a little haze but
I get a good bead on the threshold lights at about 3 miles out. I run my
landing sequence, get configured and start my descent to 1-8 at GPT. The
plane is responding WONDERFULLY in this dense air, and although the
descent is a tad on the high side, it feels like the wings are being
held up by the hands of God. Down to 18, look for the skid marks, begin
my round out and let her settle to the runway. A little abrupt, but for
my first time at night, not bad! Depth perception at night is not as
good as in the daytime. That will improve. One full stop, then taxiway
B, A  to 18 and up we go again. One of the smoothest takeoffs I've made
so far.  Now on upwind, turn right pattern: crosswind, downwind and
base, all nicely coordinated. Why is my pattern so much better at night
than in the daylight? I guess because I'm more relaxed. Night flying is
strangely more relaxing than in the day it seems, I expected the
reverse. Two more through the  pattern with full stops: now I'm current,
the plane is in one piece and we're all still alive. Back at the ramp I
can hardly find the right words. Any landing you walk away from!

In a word...WOW!!!!! This is what it's all about!

Happy Thanksgiving!

--
Glenn Martin
Owner KR2 N1333A