After the previous questions concerning carbon and fiberglass arrow rods for
making com antennas and the mention of carbon fibre/graphite rods I began to
think more about it. My first inclination was, of course I wouldn't use carbon
but now I would like to have this one question answered.

My thinking created only one question in my mind for those who know for sure.

If one were to take a graphite arrow rod for example, place copper tape
lengthwise on the arrow shaft, wrap the tape completely around it, attach
appropriate toroids, soldering and wiring to radio of course. Would the
graphite tube in the center, (which we all know is conductive and reflective)
reflect the radio signal in a 360 degree radius, (which is what we would want)
away from the arrow shaft or would it (the shaft) just screw up the ability of
the copper tape to be an antenna? I do know the copper could not come in
contact with the graphite, hopefully the resin which makes up the arrow shaft
will keep the copper seperated from the graphite fabric.
Just wondering? if anyone knows for sure I would like to read your thoughts.
Below is the link to RSTs airplane antenna kits which include all the supplies
you need to fabricate your own antenna.

http://www.rst-engr.com/rst/catalog/airplane_antenna.html

Here is a link to the type of antennas a lot of composite aircraft guys used 15
or 20 years ago. I glued one of these in the fiberglass wingtip of my neighbors
RV6A many years ago and it worked really well. I think Aircraft Spruce sells
these as well. A little pricey compared to making your own from a RST kit.

http://www.advancedaircraft.com/

Larry Howell