On 02/16/2010 11:09 PM, John T Shaffer wrote:
> I wouldn't fly a single seater cross country without one,required or not.
> John T Shaffer,N455JS

        In addition to the ELT, I also would not fly without a PLB onboard.  I
happen to have this one ($500):

<http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/aerofix406_2799.php>

but for even less money you can get this one ($290):

<http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/mcmurdofastfind.php>.

This $160 ELT will meet the legal requirement:
<http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/ack_tech.php>

so for about $450 you can have both.

Very cheap insurance.

The ELT may help if you are incapacitated.  The PLB will give pinpoint
accuracy if you are able to activate it.  If you ever happen to need
them, you'll thank yourself a thousand times over for spending the money.

-Dj

--
Dj Merrill - N1JOV
Glastar Sportsman 2+2 Builder #7118 N421DJ - http://deej.net/sportsman/