Mark,
Most transponders have a heat sink built into the rear of the case where the
high power transmitter is located.  The mounting bracket will have a small
tube for attaching a small air duct to provide some cooling for the heat
sink.  The transmitter may be happier with a little cooling air at that
location.

For antenna location, don't neglect the shielding effects of carbon fiber on
radio transmission and reception.  Fiberglass and lumber are non-conductors
and not issues for that.  Keeping the belly clean is a good thing.  Aside
from cosmetics, the oil slick will have carbon and lead contaminates, which
are conductive.  Shielding for the transponder antenna could still become a
problem.

Sid Wood
Tri-gear KR-2 N6242 getting close
Mechanicsville, MD, USA
smw...@md.metrocast.net

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

One really dumb thing I did was locate my transponder antenna on the bottom
of my plane.  I'm not sure what I was thinking there, as it just hangs out
in the breeze collecting oil and exhaust, and it could be just as easily
mounted INSIDE the fuselage and work just fine.  It is possible for oil on
the antenna to change the characteristics such that the antenna is not as
well matched to the transponder (SWR), degrading performance and potentially
damaging the transponder.  At least that's what a local EE and avionics whiz
told me after my first transponder mysteriously croaked.  Inside the
fuselage makes a lot more sense, and that's where I put it this afternoon.
It took about 15 minutes to move it.

Mark Langford
N56ML "at" hiwaay.net
website at http://www.N56ML.com

Oh, and a corollary to the transponder antenna thing is don't turn on a
transponder without an antenna attached, and definitely don't push the ident
button without an antenna.  The 200 watt pulse can kill the transponder if
it has no place to go, but a long ident blast is really asking for
trouble...