From: Plane Nut <n92...@cox.net>
To: KRnet <kr...@mylist.net>
Sent: Tue, October 19, 2010 8:12:06 PM
Subject: RE: KR> KR-1 Plans - Plus Stuff (LONG)

Netter's,

As most of you know, we took over operations from RR this past year.  So one
can imagine there has been some growing pains while attempting to get things
moving again.  Between a blown out knee, moving in and out of hangars for
due to potential flooding, and now with moving into a larger facility in
attempt to streamline and be more productive, this has been a HUGE
undertaking.   We are working diligently to get the remaining orders out
that we have and anticipate having everything caught up by the end of the
year or shortly after depending on temperatures for the glass work. (Thank
you for your patience to those we have outstanding orders with)

Currently there is myself, and my partner Eric primarily doing EVERYTHING
for production!  We do not have enough revenue to hire employees as there
still is not enough volume as we attempt to reenergize the KR design in the
homebuilt community.  This IS NOT our primary method for making a living.
Eric is still on active duty with the US Navy and lives a couple hours away.
He is instrumental in taking care of all website and administrative duties
for nV Aero. He travels to the hangar to help with production, etc. when his
time permits based upon his current Op Temp.  Otherwise, production is
basically me.  I do the ordering, stocking, fabricating and any other gopher
jobs required.  We have some items contracted out such as welding, precision
machining, etc.

Eric and I have a desire to provide quality, affordable parts and materials
for people to build their KR aircraft.  We certainly didn't get into this to
get rich.  The first thing to understand is nV Aero does not own the rights
to the plans for any of the KR aircraft. Jeanette has a price that she sells
the plans to us. Based upon that price we charge enough to cover our
shipping and administrative costs (picking up plans from RR which is 40
miles away, and other expenses associated with packaging and shipping.)  Due
to printing costs Jeanette has raised the price of the KR-1 plans to us.
The drawings and additional copies she provides are at current market rates
from the printers.  The book is the same as everyone else has received for
the past several years but those are rapidly running out so I anticipate
another increase once the current inventory is depleted.

This brings me to Mr. Caudle's post.  I do feel he should have contacted me
first before posting to the net with his "displeasure".  I think I addressed
it fairly well above but let me be clear, WE buy the plans for $95.  We sell
at $114.95.  We found that is easier for flat rate shipping for our shopping
cart system due to the various destinations in the US and abroad.  So, $25
for "shipping" less up to 6% for credit card processing if a Corporate card
is used. This leaves us $108.05. Subtract $5.70 for Priority Mail with
delivery confirmation leaves $102.35 less $95 for RR leaves us $7.35 for our
time to pick up plans from RR, print packing lists (The packing list was
with Mr. Caudle's registration page), registration pages, package and get
them to the post office or however we ship.  Clearly we are making a TON of
money for the hassle.

I am a little displeased myself with Mr. Caudle's post given our original
correspondence.  Nothing was misleading when he inquired about the plans and
their quality. I guess I should have been VERY specific as to the additional
pages showing the new dimensions from the KR-2 changes with drawings instead
of photos. You can see my email to him below.

BEGIN MSG.
"Dear Mr. Caudle,

Thank you for your inquiry into the KR-1.  I have not seen the Corby Starlet
plans so could not comment on how they compare however, there have been
several hundred KR-1's build over the years.  The KR-1 plans were drawn in
the 70's and have a builders manual with approximately 64 pages. The full
size drawings are for the airfoil only.  Dimensionally the additional photos
and measurements in the manual are pretty clear.  One positive thing
regarding the KR series is the builder support is outstanding.  The KR-net
has about 600 members and answers to most of your are readily available.  Of
course you can contact us as well.   I will work on converting a copy of a
page from the plans to send to you."
END.

Keep in mind these plans were written a very long time ago.   To answer the
various questions posted regarding the KR-1 plans.  The pages that have been
removed from the back of the manual were outdated and did not reflect
current building recommendations.  There also was engine info from Revmaster
as well as parts and kit availability that is not longer valid.  These pages
are removed by RR before we receive them.

Hopefully this clears up any questions regarding the plans or our commitment
to the KR series of aircraft.

We have just moved into a 60' X 60' hangar at Corona (AJO) and are planning
a build out to incorporate packing facilities, kitchen, bath office, and
classroom/ pilot lounge areas.  Our goal is to create and provide a builder
assistance program and possible builder workshops.  Once we have had a
chance to get organized in the hangar we will be having Saturday morning
coffee and hotcakes or waffles for those interested in learning what the KR
is all about or for those who want some hands on experience to gain the
confidence to start building their KR.

The KR was designed as an affordable aircraft that just about anyone could
afford or build.  We really have taken that to heart and are attempting to
facilitate the fulfilling of that dream for the average person.  Feel free
to stop by the hangar anytime we are there.  We are always there on
Saturdays and intermittently during the week.  Please call if you are coming
by on a weekday.  The airport is 35 miles away from my house so it takes a
little planning ahead of time.

Lastly, put us on the list for hosting the KR Gathering 2012.  I was talking
with Joe Horton a week or so back and we figured it would take him a day and
a half from PA to California.  2 fuel stops the first day and 1 fuel stop
the second.  Piece of cake with our little machines.  The entire trip can be
done without climbing over 10,500.  12,500 would by more than enough
altitude.  Richard Shirley and I have done it several times.  It is a great
trip!  I am also considering a West Coast Gathering in the spring.   There
are at least 12 local KR's I know for certain would be here.

Regards,

Steve Glover
www.nvaero.com
1-800-515-4811